Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Everything Changes

I applied on a whim at a post secondary school in downtown. The position was to travel to high schools and speak with seniors about their future plans and also to try to recruit them to come to my school.

The interview was a group interview.

Rob told me not to get my hopes up because it was probably a sales scheme.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

** And, by the way, no...Rob had no idea that I had made plans to hook up with payroll guy. He knew I was planning a trip to the corporate office, but that's it. Although if he reads (??) he knows now. **

So I bought a new suit and got all gussied up for my interview.

I stood in front of a room of people and talked about why I would be a good fit for the position.

I was called back for a solo interview.

After the solo interview, I was told they'd call by the week's end either way.

Rob assured me they wouldn't call.

They called. And offered me the job.

And I started a whole new career.

I can't even begin to describe what it was I did and how it affected me. It was amazing.

I traveled a lot and enjoyed it. Mostly day trips.

I worked with the best people. They were all around my age and so much fun.

We started hanging out and going to happy hour together.

We had a company party once at a local bar downtown. I almost didn't go because I'd been up at 4 that morning and traveled 6 hours round trip. I was exhausted, but everyone was there and having fun...

There was karaoke there.

I'd never sung karaoke before, but liquid courage played a huge part in me getting up and singing Madonna with one of my friends.

That led to a few other songs.

Good times.

It quickly became a tradition. Friday nights were our night to head to that bar and sing our hearts out.

One friend in particular who I confided quite a bit in was my partner in crime for karaoke. We were known for our rockin' Madonna duets and I had so much fun with her.

I had started dropping some weight, wearing better clothes, and feeling good about myself.

I know I looked better. I can see it in pictures from then.

I was regaining confidence.

I kept asking Rob to come with me and see me sing.

He kept declining.

Finally, for my birthday, he agreed to join me and my friend and her date.

We showed up at the bar a little early.

And there was a new DJ. His name was Joe.

As usual, my friend and I chatted him up (we did all the DJs who had worked there). Unexpectedly, Joe played Happy Birthday for me and the whole bar sang.

You see, this bar was like my "Cheers." When I would walk in, the bartender would have a glass of white Zinfandel waiting for me. We were "regulars" and everyone knew us and we knew everyone.

When I got up to do a solo to one of my fave songs, my friend talked Rob and her date into moving up closer to the stage. Rob reluctantly agreed. He sat in front of me, but I think he only looked at me twice. I think he was embarrassed.

Who cares. I gave the performance of a lifetime. Ha!

I loved being with these people. They liked me and they enjoyed spending time with me.

It had been a while since I'd felt that excitement to hang out with people. Rob and I had been living the life of roommates for so long and he admittedly avoided my company at all costs,  that I forgot what it was like to have people actually seek out time with me.

Eveything was about to change. There was a new sheriff in town.
Real Time Web Analytics